Baldwin DS 4-4-1000

The Baldwin DS-4-4-1000 were two models of four-axle 1,000 horsepower (746 kW) diesel-electric switching locomotives built by the Baldwin Locomotive Works between 1946 and 1951. The first models (56 locomotives) was powered by an 8-cylinder normally aspirated prime mover, but from 1948, a change was made to the second model powered by a 6-cylinder turbocharged engine. These two models replaced the VO-1000 in Baldwin’s catalogue, and were in turn replaced by the S-12 in 1951.